The Investigative Services Division is commanded by Deputy Chief David Mueller
The Investigative Services Division handles all major crime investigations from felony thefts to homicides. The division has three main bureaus and multiple sections and units comprised of a wide variety of personnel. Detectives specialize in property crimes, crimes against persons, sexual assaults, vice narcotics, gang affiliations, and crime scene evidence collection. As with many parts of the Toledo Police Department, civilian personnel work side by side with sworn officers to enhance efficiency and provide better services to the community.
The Investigations Bureau is commanded by Captain Sue Surgo
- Crimes Against Persons Section:
- The Special Victims Unit handles sexual assaults.
- The Cold Case Office reviews previously unsolved cases and applies new technologies that might help bring the suspect(s) to justice.
- The Domestic Violence Office handles domestic violence cases, following up on initial reports or arrests by field operations officers.
- The Missing Persons Office investigates at-risk missing persons.
- Property Investigations Section:
- The Burglary Unit investigates residential burglaries and follows up on field operations reports.
- The Theft Unit investigates major thefts from private and business properties.
- The Auto Theft Unit is responsible for investigating auto theft operations.
- The Property Recovery Unit assists in recovering previously stolen goods.
- The Arson Office investigates arson related crimes.
- Forensic and Cybercrime Section:
- The Forensics Lab analyzes evidence.
- The Crime Scene Investigation Unit handles crime scene evidence collection.
- The Video Office responds to scenes to collect surveillance footage that potentially captured a crime in progress.
- The Computer Crimes Office handles forensic investigations of computers used in crimes.
The Special Operations Bureau is commanded by Captain Jeffrey Pachell
- The SWAT Section. The SWAT team executes high-risk search warrants, handles barricaded persons, and responds to any incident that requires tactical resolution.
- The Gang Task Force Section is charged with suppressing gang activity.
- The Vice Narcotics Section investigates drug crime.
- D.A.R.T. addiction resource unit
- The Northwest Ohio Bomb Squad responds to emergencies involving hazardous devices.
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Critical Incident Negotiators
The Intelligence and Special Investigation Bureau is commanded by Captain Edward Bombrys
- The Criminal Intelligence Section uses Data Driven Policing to identify and then eradicate criminal activities.
- Gun Crime and Intelligence Task Force
- Special Investigations Section
- Metro Drug Task Force is comprised of local and federal narcotics detectives that focus on long term drug investigations.
- Special Intelligence Group conducts covert investigations.
- Forfeiture/Bulk Cash Office investigates potential seizures of property or currency used in criminal activities.
- Prostitution Task force.
- NW Ohio Violent Crime Task Force works with several local agencies along with the U.S. Marshals Service.